Saturday, October 31, 2015

Stampin' Creative Fancy Folds Blog Hop

This months Stampin' Creative Blog hop theme is Fancy Folds. Now whether you've started the hop here or joined me from Caroline … Welcome.


With it being Halloween today, you may be asking yourself why we've not gone with a Halloween theme … well, we thought about it, but it wouldn't have given you any time to purchase in the supplies to reproduce any of the projects, but hopefully you'll find our project shares, scarily awesome!

I don't often make cards using fancy folds, so took the challenge and turned to the Autumn/Winter Seasonal Catalogue for inspiration. Our Catalogues are fabulous for that. I couldn't help but stop and ponder over the Winter Wonderland Selection on page 22 … the first set that jumped out at me when I lay hands on this catalogue a few months back.



It was this card on the left in particular that I looked at and decided to use as my inspiration for today's make.


I do like using different colours for Christmas and not just the usual Red, Gold and Greens and here I have coupled Black, White and Gold with Lost Lagoon. It's a subtle addition, but I've added some gold spotty vellum in behind the aperture to pull in the gold used in the sentiment.


I can hear you asking where the fancy fold is in this card ...


… well, with the aperture on the front, I wanted to repeat this with greater depth on the inside.



I coupled it with this fabulous glittery sentiment from the Project Life by Stampin' Up! Accessory Pack and surrounded the aperture with Softly Falling Snow using the Embossing Folder.



I like the simplicity of this Fancy Fold card. You could do so many variants with stamping either side of the aperture, having things hanging and all sorts, but the general making of it, is really quite simple.

I have created a 5" square card here. To recreate your own you will need:

  • 5" x 10" Base Cardstock scored in the centre at 5"
  • Whisper White Cardstock 9 1/2" x 4 1/2" scored in the centre at 4 6/8" and 2" either side of this line. 
  • Cut out your aperture using Framelits.



  • 5" x 4 1/2" Whisper White cardstock for the back of the aperture. Do your background stamping before scoring this cardstock at 1/2", 2 1/2" and 4 1/2". You will only be folding on the centre score line. The two 1/2" sides are only as a guide for when you come to adhere the next layer. 



  • Once you have stamped and adhered your background, adhere the sides of the folding panel, with the two outside score lines, lining up with the score lines that you didn't fold from the previous step. By doing this, it should sit with an even border showing.

Once my mind was set in the mode of fancy folding, I couldn't resist but create the magnificent paper Stars that you see pictured in the catalogue.You would not believe just how easy these stars are to make and of this size, you can make two from one sheet of 12"x12" Designer Series Paper. 


If you pop back tomorrow, I shall post some step by step instructions on how to make them.



I hope you have enjoyed my share and you'll consider having a go at making either the Fancy Fold card or the Stars. Be sure to hop over to see what fantastic creative folds Lesley is sharing and do leave us girls a comment if you like what you've seen, we'd love to hear from you and to know that our shares are being appreciated.

Happy Halloween and Happy Hopping


Mikaela x

Stampin' Creative Team running order for October:

Pip - http://www.queenpipcards.com/stampin-creative-fancy-folds-blog-hop
Eimear - http://stampincolour.com/stampin-creative-october-blog-hop-fancy-folds/
Caroline - http://wp.me/p4UAKf-6M
Mikaela - YOU ARE HERE
Lesley - http://lellyjellys.blogspot.co.uk
Louise - http://stampindelight.co.uk/stampin-creative-blog-hop-fancy-folds/
Emily - http://stampinmermaid.blogspot.co.uk


Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

7 comments:

  1. I like making quirky cards but have yet to make one like yours - next on the list!! It's beautiful. Loving the stars too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh this is stunning ... lots of my favourite things and love the use of the project life kit. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased you like it Eimear, it really is ever so simple to create, with so many variants. You must give it a go and share with us xx

    Thank you Louise. there are so many lovely embellishments in the Project Life Accessory packs that often get over looked when making cards. I'm not a lover of Gold as a rule, but I loved this combination xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your projects, Mikaela! Colour combinations, clever use of Project Life accessories and the stars are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Caroline, Thank you … such kind words. I'm so pleased that you like xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Kim … that is so very kind of you to think so xx

    ReplyDelete