Thursday, September 11, 2014

Absence makes the heart grow fonder ….

Apologies for the absence from my Blog these past few weeks. Those of you who follow me on Facebook will know that I've been somewhat busy setting up my new Crafting Space and running my first set of classes in there.

Yes, the Summerhouse is complete and although we still have the outside to paint and a few minor jobs to complete on the inside, it is generally up and running for some full on crafting sessions … and I love it!!

It has made such a difference to have everything in one space, everything in it's place and at arms reach and to have the variety of desk heights and space to lay things out and leave them there at the end of the day.

It does feel funny that we now have an empty Dining area and a clear spare bedroom for guests.



The light in there is just fantastic all day long and it feels so calming …. a wonderfully relaxing retreat to create in. I'm a very lucky girl.

The little Egg Helter Skelter that I am storing my Washi Tape on has created quite a stir with my ladies.



A friend had sent me a Pinterest photo showing me the idea, which I loved. I managed to buy mine at the local Garden Center, but I had seen them being sold, brand new, on eBay. I love the fact that you can see all you have at a glance, that all the colour is on display to brighten the place up.

I've also been asked about my Ribbon Shelves, which I purchased from IKEA … Don't you just love IKEA for Crafting storage ideas?! They are called Picture Ledges (Ribba) and come in two lengths. They are perfect depth for a standard size ribbon spool. 


I still have to decide how to sort my Stamp sets, but for now they are in general groups on these CD/DVD racks from IKEA, which I've also used to store my Punches on …. this I love! The Punch rack is literally to the side of my desk and I've stored my most used punches at seated height, with Retired to the bottom and Builder Punches to the top. I've then grouped together all my Circles and scollops in sizes and then grouped flowers, labels and Boarder punches. These were all previously squashed into a box drawer that had to be pulled out to see what I had.



I have even started to store my Rhinestones and Pearls in empty Wood Mount Stamp cases.

Don't ask me how, but with all the move going on, I managed to design and prep up for four Christmas Classes … the first to be held in this wonderful new space.


Wondrous Wreath was probably the first Festive Stamp Set that caught my eye in the new Autumn/Winter Seasonal Catalogue. 

I love the two and three step stamping that this set offers. I also love how Stampin' Up! think of everything. They have provided us with a little alignment tab, which marries up to the tab on the coordinating Framelits too, to help with die cut alignment. They so know how to make life easier.


I even managed to bring in a spot of bling, with these gold sequins …. boy they took me back to my Ballroom dancing days and the abundance of sequins on those gowns.


I discovered a great tip when die cutting out the wording. Sandwich a sheet of Parchment paper between the card stock (in this case Gold Foil) and the Framelit. This helps you to gently release the word, along with the help of little pin holes.


I thought this cute little tag coordinated perfectly with this set. The set also comes with the word 'Noel'. 

Tomorrow evening, I shall be making use of this set again … but this time in Autumnal colours. I'll share photo's of this with you, once the class is complete, but I wanted to show the versatility of this lovely set.

I shall be back in the Craft Cabin in the morning, completing a few other projects that I plan on sharing with you and another Class that I shall be advertising seats for … the build up to Christmas is always a busy period … but I love it.

'til then

Happy Crafting 

Mikaela x


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your lovely Summerhouse/Craft Room! Very efficient and functional, yet warm and welcoming. It is wonderful that you are so grateful. If I lived in the UK, I would certainly attend your classes. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Debbie and thank you for leaving such a lovely comment.

    I've received some lovely comments from my ladies who have already attended class there and warm and welcoming are two words that they have used too. It's a peaceful environment and a wonderful space to design in.

    What a shame you aren't close by, I'd love to have had you join me.

    Keep popping by, as I've lots more plans now I'm in a time saving space. More tutorials for a start.

    Best wishes from Cambridgeshire, UK xx

    ReplyDelete